News from BCCJ
InIt is Recruiting! Find out more here
BCCJ's New Contact Information:
Mary Yntema, Interim Executive Director
Email: [email protected]
BCCJ c/o Holland + Knight
10 St. James Ave, 11th Floor
Boston, MA 02116
InIt - The Leadership Initiative
The Leadership InItiative – known as InIt - unites a highly diverse group of students from the city and the suburbs, public and private schools, and many different personal backgrounds. InIt grows out of a trusting community formed by these highly diverse youth. That community allows teens to discuss tough issues that affect them personally and often divide society. They understand themselves more fully and can set new goals. They then pursue those goals as leaders - both in their personal lives and also in schools and communities. YWCA Boston takes InIt students through that process - from learning to leading.
An InIt year includes:
• The powerful overnight “InIt Immersion Week” in August – packed with exercises, discussions, and training to deepen understanding of diversity, society, and self.
• InIt program days meet monthly on Saturdays to help students stay focused, build new skills and strengthen the new InIt community they have established during Immersion Week.
• Coaching and support all year to help delegates take action as leaders
• The opportunity for mentoring from BCCJ’s adult alumni
• YWCA Boston Youth Council activities such as the fall retreat, graduation/reunions, Friday Night Flicks and special events
• A spring graduation and celebration ceremony
• Lifelong membership in the Alumni Network along with adults and businesses who care about social responsibility, diversity and social justice
Delegations from the following schools and organizations are represented in the InIt Class of 2011:
Academy of the Pacific Rim
Massachusetts General Hospital
JOIN an InIt Delegation- Click HERE for application materials
IInIt is built on partnerships between YWCA Boston and area schools, communtiy organizations and youth programs. Partners send a delegation of 2-6 student leaders entering grades 10, 11, or 12.
The tuition for the 2011-2012 InIt year is $1500 per student* ($150 month), which includes the summer retreat as well as ongoing programming and coaching support throughout the academic year. Tuition is typicall paid by the partner organization or schoo. Financial aid is available to schools and organizations that are unable to pay the full tuition. Additionallly, a delegation may be matched with outside sponsorship.
Applications are accepted between March and June of 2011 and interviews are required of all applicants.
*While InIt tuition is $1500, the actual per student cost of the program is $3800. YWCA Boston actively seeks corporate, foundation, and individual support to subsidize the difference between the tuition and the actual cost.
InIt Immersion Week: August 14-20, 2011
Program Days: 10am - 5pm
Saturday, September, 24, 2011
Saturday, October 22, 2011
Saturday, November 12, 2011
Saturday, December 10, 2011
Saturday, January 14, 2012
Culture Night: Saturday, February 11, 2012
Saturday, March 3, 2012
Saturday, April 28th, 2012
Graduation: Thursday, May 17, 2012
Download the InIt 2012 Brochure here
Information for partner schools, youth organizations, and staffers- Click here
If you are interested in applying or have questions please contact:
Ruben "Ocan" Ortiz
Youth Leadership Program Manager
Our leaders see opportunities for action